To strengthen bones we need to include sufficient calcium in our diets.
Women over 50 need to consume 1200mg of calcium.
Good sources of calcium include:
- milk, cheese and other dairy foods
- green leafy vegetables, such as broccoli and cabbage
- soya beans
- fish where you eat the bones, such as sardines and pilchards
Non-vegans get most of their calcium from dairy foods, but it is easy for vegans to obtain calcium from other sources.
Good sources of calcium for vegans include:
- fortified almond, rice and oat milk
- sesame seeds and tahini
- dried fruits such as raisins, prunes, figs and apricots